Family Law

Family Law Attorney in Houston, Texas

Family law is a legal practice area that focuses on issues involving family relationships. Marriage, divorce, parenting, child support, property division, adoption, and domestic violence fall within this area of law. Dealing with family law cases can be complex and stressful. A seemingly simple family issue involves a range of laws, required paperwork, and a lengthy process. To help you ease the burden of resolving your family disputes and legal issues, it is important to seek legal help from a credible family law attorney in Houston TX.

At Chargois Harper Attorneys and Counselors At Law, we have extensive legal experience in handling Texas family law cases. Our Houston Texas family law attorneys has been helping families find answers to their legal questions related to divorce, child custody, and other family law issues for decades. We treat each of our clients individually. We are constantly reviewing your situation, planning the next steps, and considering the best approach to resolve your family law case.

Call Houston’s most trusted family law attorneys now at 832-479-4499 to schedule an initial consultation.

What Does Family Law Cover?

Family law is a diverse and wide-ranging area of practice. It protects the rights and responsibilities of family members in various situations. It focuses on finding solutions to matrimonial, financial, and child-related legal issues. The family laws may vary from every state. A reliable Houston family law attorney can help you understand how family law works in Texas.

Getting Divorced in Houston, Texas

Houston TX divorce attorneys

Divorce is a dissolution of marriage through a legal process by filing a petition in a court of law. To initiate a divorce proceeding, one or both the husband and wife must file for divorce in the state where he or she lives. The divorce laws and length of the process may vary in every jurisdiction. Even a relatively simple proceeding, such as an uncontested divorce, may involve a lot of paperwork or complicated filing requirements.

Texas divorce cases often involve issues on equitable distribution of the real estate, debts, and financial assets after divorce. The couple must mutually agree upon who gets to keep each asset and who will pay each debt.

Furthermore, filing for divorce requires couples to equally divide their marital property and calculate alimony or spousal support. If there are children involved, issues related to child custody, visitation rights, and child support must also be settled. A trustworthy Texas divorce and family law attorney can guide you throughout the whole divorce process.

Fighting for Child Custody in Texas

Child custody is a legal term referring to the parental rights of a person to make decisions about the care and welfare of a child. This includes decisions about education, religious training and healthcare.

The parent with custody is called the “custodial parent.” The law does not favor one form of custody over another, nor do they base their decisions on the sex of the parent.

Houston Child Custody attorney

Child custody cases are tied with divorce proceedings. When parents divorce, care for the children must continue. If the married couple cannot agree on a parenting plan for raising the children, the family court will decide matters concerning the children’s best interests. Decisions will be made on how much time the child will spend with each parent and which parent will be the primary caregiver.

If you and the other parent cannot agree on child custody and child visitation rights, you may seek legal help from a seasoned family law attorney in Houston to help you ensure that the court considers your point of view and the best interests of your child.

Seeking Child Support in Texas

Houston Child Support Attorney

Child support is the amount of money that a court orders a non-custodial parent or both parents to pay every month to help the custodial parent cover the living expenses of the child.

Monetary support includes food, clothing, housing, basic education, and other essentials. The amount of child support typically depends on how much money each parent earns and how much time each parent spends with the child.

Every state has different rules for child support. All states have established child support guidelines to determine the amount of child support that a parent may be required to pay. If you’re thinking of filing a child support claim, you should consider having a qualified Texas family law attorney by your side to make sure your child is getting the financial support that is allowed under the law.

Establishing Guardianship in Texas

The topic of guardianship is complex. According to the Texas Guardianship Association, guardianship is defined as “a legal process designed to protect vulnerable persons from abuse, neglect, and exploitation.” Our Houston TX guardianship attorneys help “vulnerable” or incapacitated persons under a particular body of law with specific definitions.

Houston guardianship attorney

Ward: an “incapacitated person” such as elderly or disabled adults who are not capable of making decisions for themselves and have, as a result, been placed under guardianship, or a minor children who need someone to make financial decisions and personal welfare decisions for them.

Guardian (or Guardian of the Person): the person(s) appointed to make decisions for the Ward related to the personal welfare, well-being, and/or finances.

Probate Court: the Court with jurisdiction over guardianship cases. Although some counties in Texas do not have official probate courts, all guardianships are handled in the courts in which probate matters are heard.

Guardian of the Estate: someone appointed to make the financial decisions related to a Ward’s assets, also known as a conservetorship. This person is charged with preserving, protecting, and maintaining the assets. It may include bond issues, accounting issues, and Probate Court approval of guardianship expenses.

Ad Litem Attorney: every time a guardianship is filed, it is the responsibility of the Probate Court to appoint an Attorney ad Litem to represent the legal interests of the Ward.

Modification of Orders in Houston, TX

houston tx and illinois family lawyers

When life changes, it may be time to modify your family law orders. Our experienced family lawyers in Houston, TX can assist you in filing for modifications of orders for the following:

Updating your parenting plan arrangement;

Adjusting the amount of child support and/or alimony;

Ending alimony or spousal support.

Dealing with Texas Child Abuse & Neglect

Family laws protect children from being abused and neglected in their own home. If you’re dealing with a Texas child abuse & neglect case, our Houston TX family lawyer can provide legal assistance and representation to help you ensure the safety of your child.

houston family law attorney for child abuse & neglect

Physical child abuse;

Mental and emotional child abuse;

Child maltreatment and neglect; and

Child abandonment.

What Traits Should I Look For in a Family Law Attorney?

There are many situations in which hiring a family law attorney can benefit you. Texas family law statutes can be confusing. Therefore, it is important to seek legal assistance from a competent family law attorney in Texas to help you fully understand your options and work with you to achieve the results you desire during these difficult times.

Choosing your lawyer is one of the most crucial decisions that you’ll make when you deal with a family law case. There are several factors that you need to consider before selecting one. Several characteristics make Houston family attorneys stand out over others.

In-Depth Experience

Make sure that your lawyer is well conversant with the law. Experience and knowledge go hand in hand in the legal profession.

A family law attorney who has extensive experience in providing legal services is likely to have far better knowledge and application of the law compared to one who has just started as a lawyer. No matter how complicated your family law case is, they can handle your case efficiently.


Questions or sudden changes may also arise in the middle of your family law case. You need to hire a top-ranking Houston TX family law attorney who can always respond to your concerns.

Dealing with a family law case that involves long and complex litigation can be emotionally and financially stressful, but a good lawyer will continue to have a certain degree of commitment to the case at hand. He or she must give you the attention that you deserve. Therefore, ensure that you choose a family lawyer who is always available and reliable.

Willingness to Listen

This is one of the essential traits that you must consider whenever you are looking for a family law attorney. You will be assured that you are working with the right person if the attorney is compassionate and attentive. They should be humble and patient enough to accommodate you even if you do not understand various legal matters.

Find an attorney who will spend time listening to your opinions and courteously advise you. Clear and easy communication is critical. During your case, you will need to be able to effectively communicate your concerns and expectations to your lawyer. In return, your lawyer needs to clearly explain things to you regarding your case and provide you with realistic expectations.

Do I Need a Family Law Attorney in Houston?

Even in family law matters that seem relatively straightforward, you can still benefit from an attorney’s expertise. While some family law matters can be handled without legal assistance, your emotions might get in the way and affect your decision-making. Therefore, it is highly recommended to hire an attorney when dealing with family law cases.

If you decide to file for divorce, you want someone knowledgeable to advise you on your options and to look over the proposed marital settlement agreement. Even agreements between the parties with the best intentions can have errors and omissions, like missing marital assets that should’ve been divided, which can be difficult and expensive to fix after the case is over. A credible Houston TX family law attorney can protect your interests and help you accomplish your goals for your divorce case.

When you hire a lawyer, they represent you and your interests. He or she will know how to interpret the law that applies to your situation. At Chargois Harper Attorneys and Counselors At Law, we make sure your case resolves as quickly as possible while protecting your rights at all times.

Hire an Experienced Houston Family Law Attorney Now!

Family law is a relatively broad legal practice area. Whether it’s a divorce, child custody disputes, child support issues, family law can be stressful. However, you don’t have to deal with your stressful family issues alone.

If you are unsure about your legal rights in your case, do not hesitate to consult our experienced Houston family law attorneys at Chargois Harper Attorneys and Counselors At Law. Our family law firm will personally handle all aspects of your case. We will help you resolve your family issues involving divorce, child custody, child support, and other family law cases.

Call us now at 832-479-4499 and schedule an initial consultation.


You can count on us to protect your interests and resolve your legal concerns in Texas & Illinois.


Houston Office


11999 Katy Freeway #506
Houston, TX 77079

Illinois Office


4647 W. 103rd Street, Oak Lawn Illinois 60453

Get Help From Our Illinois & Texas Attorneys

All the information on this website – – is published in good faith and for general information purposes only. Chargois Harper Attorneys and Counselors at Law does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information you find on this website (Chargois Harper Attorneys and Counselors at Law), is strictly at your own risk. Chargois Harper Attorneys and Counselors at Law will not be liable for any losses and/or damages in connection with the use of our website.

Copyright © 2022 Chargois Harper Attorneys and Counselors at Law - All Rights Reserved. | Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions